Families often ask me where the best place is to get a cake smash cake for their baby's first birthday photoshoots. If you opt for a store bought one then there are some amazing options from the big supermarkets.
Always remember my top tips for picking your cake smash photoshoot cake:
- Choose a soft buttercream style icing so your baby can break into the cake easily and enjoy his/her cakesmash session.
- Generally, avoid dark / milk chocolate cakes - they can look like pooh when smashed up! (Having said that, there are some beautiful chocolate cake options out there!)
- Watch out for any decorations that could be a choking hazard.
- Decorate your own store bought cake - pick a cake from which you can remove simple decorations or pick a plain cake and decorate it yourself. You can buy lots of beautiful add on decorations from Amazon and other retailers.
- Let your baby taste and play with a similar looking cake one or two days before the session - a cupcake with icing is just fine for this purpose.
- If you store the cake in the fridge, take it out the night before the birthday photoshoot so it has time to soften up before the cake smash.
- Remember some store bought cakes still need to be pre-ordered 7-10 days in advance of your photoshoot.
And finally; below are some of my favourite cakes. There are loads more options out there too, beyond the celebration cakes I've listed. Take a look at my Pinterst board for more ideas, and I'd love to know what your favourites are too. Just add a link or picture in the comments.
Click the image to go through to the product on the retailer's website and order for your first birthday cake smash phtooshoot with me.